Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Best MMU Brush Recommendation

The most important way to achieve a perfect face using mineral makeup (MMU) is having the right brushes. Different brushes give you different results varied from ghostly cakey face to flawlessly polished one, hence, investing in nice brushes is worth paying for.

There are tons of makeup brushes in the market, yet how you could tell which is the perfect one for you? I am an MMU Mania who owns more than 20 brushes from all over the world. I have experimented all hypes and raves spending a lot $$ on brushes just to find the perfect ones which work for my only one face.

I've come up with a few criteria choosing a mineral foundation brush:

  • A good brush doesn't have to be expensive. However, price always reflects all available information.
  • Most high-quality brushes are made in China and Japan
  • A good brush doesn't have to be branded = a branded brush doesn't guarantee that it is good
  • A good brush picks up, distributes and blends MMU very nicely
  • Good brushes usually has dense and soft hairs
  • Real animal hairs distribute the powders very well and better than the synthetic ones

Here are my mineral foundation brush(es) recommendation :


1. Essential Beauty Supplies : Squirrel Flat Top Duster - $49.99 USD


I've tested different flat-top brushes for applying my mineral foundation and this one came out on top! This flat-top brush provides medium to full coverage. It picks up and distributes the powder very well. The squirrel hair is luxuriously soft. (EBS claims that it is made from 100% pure blue squirrel hairs with top-graded quality.)

My rating : 5/5

Comment : a good buy, worth every buck, recommended to achieve a flawless finish




2. Everyday Minerals : New Flat Top Brush - $10 USD



This flat-top brush from Everyday Minerals is made from synthetic fibers providing the perfectly pore-less and smooth coverage. However, since it's synthetic, it is not as good at evenly distributing MMU as the real animal hair ones. (so if you use too much mineral foundation, you may look a bit cakey.) Cons : It doesn't feel so velvet when buffing.

My rating : 4.5/5

Comment : good for vegan, very cheap, durable, very dense, so soft, doesn't shed




3. Essential Beauty Supplies : Karessable Powder Buffer - $22.49 USD



This cute brush is a soft blend of the finest gray squirrel and goat hairs. It is nicely shaped and super soft. I can say that it is as soft as the Squirrel Flat Top Duster, but yay, with more affordable price.

My rating : 4/5

Comment : affordable, super soft, good for mineral foundation application





4.
Coastal Scents: Deluxe Buffer Brush - $4.25 USD



This brush is my perfect item for daily touch ups due to its lovely size and shorter handle. I was quite surprised at how soft this brush was! It's beyond my expectation as I paid only a few hundred Thai Baht for it... very affordable! It's made from Sable hair blend and, sort of, dense. I totally agree with what they claim on Coastal Scents' website that this sable-hair brush is superior to goat and pony hair when it comes to application performance. Many reviewers on the website mentioned they'd found this brush smelled disgusting. I have no idea about that. (I didn't smell that.)

My rating : 4/5

Comment : very cheap, soft, perfect carry-along brush for midday touch ups



Alright, that's all for my mineral foundation brush recommendation.

Go back and check your brush whether it is good enough for your only one face ... if not, get a new one immediately!

Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment